Sports massage has an increasing profile in sports medicine, offering benefits for all kinds of athletes. Sports massage is a deeper type of massage that works specifically with sporting injuries and ailments.
The Purpose of Sports Massage
The prime purpose of Sports Massage Therapy is to help alleviate the stress and tension which builds up in the body’s soft tissues during physical activity. It can be carried out before, during, or after playing sport or exercising and uses techniques that are designed to increase endurance and performance, to minimise the chances of injury and, if there is an injury, to reduce the recovery time.
What Sports Massage Can Do For You
Sports massage can treat a variety of ailments and injuries that may occur as a result of exercise. It is designed to prepare the athlete for their best performance, reduce fatigue, and relieve muscle swelling and tension. During physical activity—especially strenuous—muscle tension builds up in the body’s soft tissues. Due to overextension or overuse, minor injuries and lesions occur in these tissues that can cause a great deal of pain and poor athletic performance.
Some benefits that sports massage has include:
- draining away fatigue,
- relieving swelling,
- reducing muscle tension,
- promoting flexibility,
- injuries that occur as a result of overexertion or overuse,
- relieving pain,
- helps pre-event and post-event recovery for all sporting participants,
- preventing injuries,
- improving heart rate and blood pressure,
- increasing blood circulation and lymph flow,
- helps in the elimination of waste and toxins,
- treating injuries such as shin splints, tennis elbows, sprains and strains, corked thighs etc